- I don’t even know where to start with this movie!!
- That’s not because it’s bad or good either, I just don’t even know where to begin.
- Thank God it isn’t Fifty Shades of Grey…
- And yeah, sorry MyMovieThoughts.com fanboys, that review won’t be hitting your screens ever. EVER.
- Two words come to mind when watching this movie:
- Also acceptable: Berserk. Ridiculous.
Cast and Characters
- I’m currently a teenager, which means yeah I watched a TON of SpongeBob growing up, and evens aw the original SpongeBob movie in the theaters 11 years ago.
- God I feel old…
- If you’re a teenager too or currently a kid then you also know who’s in this movie, but even if you don’t you’ll pick it up fast.
- SpongeBob is in this movie, Patrick, Sandy, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Squidward all doing their things.
- Unfortunate absence from David Hasselhoff however…
- The new character in this is Bubbles the Dolphin who pops up about halfway through and makes the rest of the movie awesome.
- But every character in this movie pretty much serves their purpose, and this feels like it’s the SpongeBob movie meant for kids that love the SpongeBob show. No new characters, you know everyone going in.
- Antonio Banderas was in this movie too, and he was actually less cartoony than he was in The Expendables 3.
- And in this, he was literally a cartoon!
- But you don’t need to know about the characters in this thing, you want to hear about the awesome adventure in this movie!
- Now where I take problem with the movie is the plot: because there really isn’t one!
- This movie tried to be so many things.
- It was a SpongeBob episode-movie, then it was an apocalypse movie, then it was a time travel movie, then it was a superhero movie, jeez!
- And the going-all-over-the-place is where I had an issue with the movie.
- Let’s compare this to the original SpongeBob movie.
- The original SpongeBob movie was a very centered, entertaining odyssey of a movie that had its points A,B, and C and was gonna get us out in 100 minutes or less.
- It was a movie that most anyone could enjoy, and most people did.
- But this was more of a silly, kids-only, SpongeBob weird-out fest.
- It felt like 3 unrelated SpongeBob episodes crammed into this movie, kinda under one plot.
- Or as my friend put it, it felt like the rejected writers’ room SpongeBob ideas.
- And yeah this movie was WEIRD too.
- I don’t do drugs, my friends don’t do drugs. My friends and I walked out of this movie know thinking that an acid trip is defined as the second SpongeBob movie.
- Granted though, weird can be good.
- There were two times in this movie, both towards the end, where I was hysterically laughing at how weird and bizarre the movie got, and it worked!
- But it didn’t have to be so weird all the time.
- Like there was a bit where Plankton was in SpongeBob’s mind and I’m like, “yeah, what was in my drink?”
- And the advertising of this movie was so off, which I had heard going in.
- The actual ‘Out of Water’ part is only the last 25 minutes of the movie, but in fairness, it was the best part of the movie.
- The apocalypse segment felt like the movie was slowing down a bit and just tried to do crazy humor to do crazy humor, but in the out-of-water bits the crazy humor seemed to land more.
- The effects when the characters were out of water actually weren’t bad.
- Those seagulls though? Ugh…..
- And they were super annoying too…
- Ultimately, I had the most, “jeez, oh my God, and what am I watching!?” moments of my film-going career when watching The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- The second SpongeBob Movie was one of the worst in quality, yet best in entertaining movies I’ve seen in a while which isn’t bad.
- This movie will really please fans of the show under 10 but at the end of the day, the original SpongeBob movie is better and a lot of other animated movies are better.
- It is fun if you want to just completely ask, “what……!??” with your friends at a movie like I did. So that’s the rating it gets!
- I will go see the third SpongeBob movie though, when it comes out in 2028.
So guys, those are my thoughts on The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water! What are your thoughts on this movie, and was it too weird for you? Let me know in the comments down below, and as always, thanks for reading guys.