- The Hateful Eight is the newest movie from writer/director Quentin Tarantino and it stars Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and others.
- And this movie is ultimately an old-timey western that brings in a whodunit aspect in the second-half.
- And, much like The Revenant, this movie is kinda half and half.
- So starting with the performances in this movie, all the actors are really good.
- Samuel L. Jackson has a lot of time to shine and not only is he hilarious, but he also brings in a lot of mysterious and kinda a feeling of wonder that spreads across the movie.
- Kurt Russell was really good too, his interactions with other characters were my favorites.
- And Jennifer Jason Leigh, especially in the second half of this movie, was phenomenal.
- There’s also this one small role (not a cameo, but bigger than that) that comes in towards the end of the movie and (without spoiling anything) I liked that character a lot.
- Though these characters are all well-written, the script to this movie is very mixed to me.
- The dialogue is pretty sharp, but for the first half it’s just uninteresting.
- There’s nothing going on in the first half of this movie, it’s all setup.
- But the setup isn’t really that interesting, like it doesn’t build any suspense or tension, it just feels like it’s there because Tarantino needs to make each of his movies longer than the last.
- So the first half feels almost like a throwaway.
- Luckily, the second half of this movie is AWESOME.
- In the second half, the dialogue becomes tense and riveting.
- There’s more action, the characters become more fascinating, and everything just gets better.
- Luckily, you know that’s coming because of the intermission.
- And speaking of the intermission, I will give Tarantino credit for that first half of the movie because it’s directed really well.
- The first half has a lot more outdoors shots and those are done beautifully, especially when seen in 70mm.
- So in the end, the script to the first half seemed pretty uneventful, but the script to the second half was absolutely awesome. I loved the old-timey directing style and all the actors were pretty solid in the movie.
- So I’ll say The Hateful Eight is a Good Time and Definitely Worth Checking Out.
So guys, those are my thoughts on The Hateful Eight! What were your thoughts on this movie and what’s your favorite Tarantino movie to date? Let me know in the comments down below, and as always, thanks for reading guys.