- Joy is a new movie starring Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro, Edgar Ramirez, and Bradley Cooper. Among others.
- It focuses on a woman (named Joy…) who was the inventor of the Miracle Mop, and ultimately shows all of the financial and familial struggles she went through to get there.
- And it’s a very weirdly structured movie…
- Now, the performances in this movie were pretty good.
- Jennifer Lawrence is great in whatever role she’s in, and she was really good as Joy. I don’t think she’ll be nominated for an Oscar, but she was definitely the star of the show here.
- And Robert De Niro wasn’t bad in this movie either. He was kinda playing this eccentric character, but it was so fun to watch.
- The other characters were fine in the movie, but some of them definitely felt like throwaways.
- Like Joy’s ex-husband played by Edgar Ramirez was fine to an extent, but just felt useless until the second half of the movie.
- And Joy’s half-sister just felt useless the entire movie.
- But the weirdness in characters isn’t the weirdest part of the movie.
- This movie’s script just felt very awkward.
- Like the first act was a lot of setup, but you never really understand the endgame.
- It’s a lot of background and exposition that just feels a little inflated.
- The second act does get better, because it’s Joy trying and failing to get this product sold. Seeing those attempts are really cool, and you get Bradley Cooper’s character introduced and he propels the plot forward.
- Then the third act goes back to being weird…
- The third act is like this strange legal battle of economics and rights that feels like it came out of nowhere.
- The first two acts were about Joy’s personal and family journey, but the third act just felt a little out-of-place.
- That being said, I was never disinterested in the movie, it just felt clunky in parts.
- Like the dialogue stayed solid, and I liked seeing this family interact.
- There were just parts that seemed to divide the movie halfway down the middle.
- But overall, I did think the movie was pretty decent overall.
- It isn’t a movie you should run out and see, but it is pretty decent.
- So I’d say Joy is a Good Time and Worth Checking Out.
- No “Definitely” though. You don’t definitely need to see this one!
So guys, those are my thoughts on Joy! What are your thoughts on this movie if you’ve seen it yet? Let me know in the comments down below, and as always, thanks for reading guys.