- Guys, the Oscars are my favorite day of the year after Christmas.
- And I’m so excited for them that I decided this year I’m gonna do a prediction post of just who I think will be nominated.
- In the main categories anyway.
- Sorry production design, I value you, but I only have so much free time in my day.
- Without further ado, let’s get started.
- The big one, as always.
- There can be up to 10 nominees in this category, but this year I think only 9 of those will be filled.
- And those are:
- Boyhood (italics are who could win, or who have a good shot)
- Birdman (winners in bold)
- Gone Girl
- The Imitation Game
- The Theory of Everything
- Love Is Strange
- Grand Budapest Hotel could be a solid bet in there, but I decided to exclude it just for Wes Anderson fans to be all like, “whaaaaa???”
- And I put in Love Is Strange because I’ve heard great things about it, and I think it could be like Amour from a couple years ago, where no one saw it coming.
- I still haven’t seen Foxcatcher, Selma, or Love Is Strange (like I said), but I’ll probably see Selma this coming weekend (it was either that or Imitation Game this past week) and Foxcatcher sometime before the Oscars.
- But man, I really hope Gone Girl gets a nomination!
- And Whiplash too!
- I hope the Academy doesn’t leave it out because it was more of an indie film.
Best Lead Actor
- In 2010 they extended the nominees of Best Picture from 5 to 10.
- I’m pretty sure that by 2018, Best Lead Actor (maybe even Actress too) will allow 7 nominees because Lead Actor is always STACKED.
- But here are the 5 I’m betting on this year!
- Michael Keaton – Birdman
- Eddie Redmayne – Theory of Everything (watch out for him though)
- Benedict Cumberbatch – The Imitation Game
- David Oyelowo – Selma
- Jake Gyllenhaal – Nightcrawler
- Watch out for Steve Carell though!
- He’s the one this year that I think will get snubbed, but if he is on there, he’ll probably knock off Gyllenhaal.
- Watch him come from behind and win…
- It would be cool if they gave a total shocker Affleck or McConaughey nomination though.
- Wouldn’t say no those.
Best Lead Actress
- I got a good feeling this will be the same as the Best Lead Actress – Drama at the Golden Globes.
- Julianne Moore – Still Alice
- Rosamund Pike – Gone Girl
- Reese Witherspoon – Wild
- Felicity Jones – The Theory of Everything
- Jennifer Aniston – Cake
- I haven’t seen Cake or Wild, but I’m pretty sure this is what most award circuits are looking like.
- Felicity Jones was pretty good in Theory of everything, though I didn’t think she was great.
- Julianne Moore could win this award with her hand behind her back, that’s an easy one.
- She carried Still Alice just by her performance.
- Rosamund Pike was great in Gone Girl and I thought she may win the Golden Globe in an upset, but what can ya do…
Best Supporting Actor
- This is another good one that fills up quick every year!
- K. Simmons – Whiplash
- Edward Norton – Birdman
- Ethan Hawke – Boyhood
- Mark Ruffalo – Foxcatcher
- Andy Serkis – Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Yeah, that last one I’ll address first.
- There was a big news story a few months ago that Fox was pushing for a Supporting Actor nom for Serkis, which I thought was awesome.
- Granted, he was the lead in Dawn, but if his mo-cap talents are recognized, then I couldn’t be any happier.
- That news story kinda faded away, but I think it’s gonna happen.
- Plus, there’s been rumors of who could fill the fifth spot, because Robert Duvall probably got the nom at the Globes by luck, and I think this could be “shock everybody” one.
- And he’s up for one or two lesser film awards in the category, never the less, I’m hoping for it!
- But yeah, J.K. has this one in the bag.
- Norton was so awesome in Birdman, and I think he could’ve taken it last year, but Simmons was just better this year by a small shot.
Best Supporting Actress
- Patricia Arquette – Boyhood
- Emma Stone – Birdman
- Keira Knightley – The Imitation Game
- Jessica Chastain – A Most Violent Year
- Laura Dern – Wild
- As much as I’d love to see Carrie Coon get a nomination for Gone Girl, I think this category just filled up too fast this year.
- I SOOOOOOO want Emma Stone to win this one because, like I’ve said multiple times, I think she went more emotionally deep than Patricia Arquette, but hey, she’ll get one before her career is up.
- I put Laura Dern in for Wild, despite me having not seen it, because I don’t think the Academy will be on the Meryl Streep high this year, even though they are every other year.
- I heard Into the Woods wasn’t as awesome as people hoped, and I think that could drag down the chances just a little bit.
- This one is between two guys.
- Richard Linklater – Boyhood
- Alejandro González Iñárritu – Birdman
- Ava DuVernay – Selma
- Damian Chazelle – Whiplash
- David Fincher – Gone Girl
- I don’t think David Fincher will actually get nominated, it will probably go to whoever directed Imitation Game, but I think he deserves it just for his body of work, so there he is!
- You’re awesome dude, and one of my favorites!
Alright guys, those are predictions for this year’s Academy Award Nominations! I’ll do a post in a couple days with my full thoughts on the nominations. Until then, leave your predictions in the comments down below, and as always, thanks for reading guys.