- Wow, so nearly a year after its initial release I FINALLY watched and finished Daredevil Season 1!
- This past week I just set my mind to it and watched two episodes a day, finally wrapping it up last night.
- So now let’s talk about it!
- So Daredevil is a Netflix series set in the Marvel Universe, but it’s kind of a departure from all the other content Marvel has produced so far.
- Like Jessica Jones (Marvel’s other Netflix show), it’s much more mature, much bloodier, and really spends a lot of time focusing on its story with less explosions and more development.
- And Daredevil centers on Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer with enhanced senses who can ‘see’ everything around him despite not being able to actually see.
- But then conflict comes in the form of Wilson Fisk, a corrupt business man who wants to re-build Hell’s Kitchen (Murdock’s part of New York) in his image.
- And well, overall, the show is pretty good!
- So right from the get-go, all of the cast and characters in this show are great.
- EVERYONE gives an awesome performance, even the supporting cast.
- Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil is believable, especially since he’s blind and you barely ever question that a non-blind actor is playing him. Cox hits all the beats he needs to and was a great driving force for this movie.
- Then you’ve got his best friend Foggy who’s kinda supposed to be the comic relief, and he nails that part but also brings in the emotion in the second-half of the season where he needs to.
- Then you’ve got Matt and Foggy’s co-worker Karen Page who was one of my favorite characters in the show.
- By the end, I felt like we had gone through her story as much as we had gone through Matt Murdock’s, if not more!
- She was a great character, the actress who played her was Deborah Ann Woll and she was my favorite performance in the show.
- Vincent D’Onofrio was really good as Wilson Fisk too, I know he stole the show for a lot of people. I thought he was awesome, but Karen Page was still the show-stealer for me!
- After that, we get into the story which was kind of a mixed-bag for me.
- See, I still consider Jessica Jones to be Marvel’s masterpiece.
- Out of movies, TV, anything, Jessica Jones is Marvel’s best work to date in my eyes because of how personal it was.
- The first two episodes it set up Jessica’s personal life and set up the season’s big villain conflict, then brought the two of them together.
- For Daredevil Season 1, I never felt there was any kind of personal story involving Matt Murdock.
- For the first half of the season at least, they bring in someone around Episode 7 from his past.
- But yeah, the first half of the season there wasn’t really much going on personally with Matt Murdock, you mainly just saw him training to be Daredevil.
- Then the second half of the season, which was better, I felt like the personal story that it builds for Matt doesn’t have much of an effect either though.
- So for Season 2, I’m hoping that right off the bat a personal and superhero story is established and that they both intertwine by the end of the season.
- I will say, the Daredevil parts of the story, the bits where he’s fighting crime, those are cool though.
- Sometimes they get a bit convoluted, but overall I was happy with the fights Matt Murdock got into and seeing his one-man war on Fisk and Fisk’s army.
- The character of Fisk had an awesome backstory, I’ll say that. And an awesome personal story. They really did a lot with him that I wish they did more of with Murdock.
- Speaking of those two, though, let’s talk the action in this show.
- This show is action-packed and it has some of the best fight sequences I’ve ever seen on TV.
- Possibly THE best I’ve seen on TV.
- These fights are raw and gritty and bloody (but not gruesomely bloody).
- There’s one sequence you’ve probably heard of from Episode 2 of the show and yeah… That one was really incredible…
- In Conclusion guys, I really enjoyed Daredevil.
- Some things with the script bothered me, I wish they went into more personal things with Matt Murdock.
- But that doesn’t change the fact that Daredevil was really well-acted, had a good overall premise, and fantastic action.
- It takes a bit to get into, but I am now engaged and ready for Season 2 (which I’m gonna start immediately after I post this!).
- So I’m gonna give Daredevil Season 1 a B+.
But guys, those are just my thoughts on Daredevil Season 1. Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comment section down below. Also feel free to Follow this Blog and Subscribe to my Youtube Channel (www.youtube.com/MyMovieThoughts) and Follow Me on Twitter (ww.twitter.com/JohnMHayeck) if it so pleases you! And as always, thanks for reading guys.