- Hey guys!
- So in the past few months, we’ve heard a LOT about this DC Cinematic Universe, especially after the release of Batman v. Superman.
- I was actually a fan of Batman v. Superman, there were certainly things about it that didn’t work, but overall I thought it was pretty cool and a solid start to the universe.
- That being said, I was super excited for Suicide Squad and The Flash and Justice League…
- But in the past month, even just this past week, there’s been a lot of news that makes me wonder: is the DC Cinematic Universe in Trouble?
- I think the answer is yes.
- Now granted, I’m just a kid living in Boston. I know nothing!
- But these are the indicators that make me a little nervous for the production of the upcoming DC Universe movies…
- And here’s why!
- I’ve been excited for Suicide Squad since the first look of it at Comic-Con last year.
- I think the Joker looks cool (I’m still a little meh on the tattoos, but whatever), Harley Quinn, and Deadshot all look awesome.
- (For more of Why I’m Excited For Suicide Squad, click here!)
- But there have been some rumors flying around recently that Suicide Squad, as they’re finishing cuts on it, is a mess.
- Now I’ve just heard this second hand.
- Not from a Hollywood Reporter or a Variety, but definitely some behind the scenes people with contacts on set.
- It’s all hearsay, but I’ve heard it from two sources…
- I know there were reshoots right after Batman v. Superman, but I personally don’t think that means anything.
- Every movie does reshoots.
- But hearing these rumors, AFTER the reshoots, that makes me slightly cautious.
- I still think Suicide Squad is gonna be great, I still have a lot of faith in it.
- But these rumors are definitely noticeable, and knowing the studio, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is slightly sub-par.
The Flash Loses Director
- Okay, directors leave movies all the time.
- Ava DuVernay didn’t sign on to Black Panther, Michelle MacLaren dropped Wonder Woman after being signed on for a few months.
- But this is interesting…
- James Wan is still on Aquaman and Zach Snyder is still DC’s guy, but it seems like people behind-the-scenes are flocking away from DC.
- Granted, Seth Grahame-Smith still hasn’t directed a movie, so I’m not surprised if that intimidated him a little bit.
- But this came out after the Batman v. Superman controversy.
- I wouldn’t be surprised if DC went to him and gave him notes about adding in more comedy or changing the tone to cater to fans.
- Maybe it was bad timing, or maybe it was DC being reactionary…?
Harley Quinn Movie Announced
- Speaking of reactionary…
- This past weekend, a Harley Quinn movie was announced!
- And I’ll be honest, I don’t like this news at all.
- First of all, I think Margot Robbie looks AWESOME as Harley Quinn.
- I actually predicted she would get cast as Harley Quinn, even after just hearing Harley Quinn would be in the movie.
- But this worries me.
- DC announced their slate of films through 2020, and they did that back in October of 2014.
- When they did that, I thought it was cool.
- They seemed like they had a plan and they knew what the continuity of their universe would be going forward.
- We always assumed that a Batman movie and maybe a Man of Steel sequel would get announced, but other than that, DC seemed to have their schedule set.
- Then we hear this report that a Harley Quinn and female team-up movie is in the works!
- As a premise, that sounds cool.
- Maybe get Poison Ivy and Catwoman in?
- But this seems like DC, again, is being reactionary.
- They’re hearing that people like Harley Quinn in the Suicide Squad trailer, and they’re saying, “let’s give her a movie! People like her! Give her a movie!”
- If they wanted to announce that a Suicide Squad 2 was in development, and it might retain Harley Quinn in the lead with more female antiheroes…
- That would be cool!
- But the fact that they’re announcing this before Suicide Squad even comes out?
- It seems really like they’re trying to be people-pleasers, and that isn’t something I like.
DC Shuffles Creative Bosses
- Yup, Geoff Johns and Jon Berg are now in charge of DC Comics properties.
- Shuffle in creative development bosses.
- Always a positive move.
- In Conclusion guys, I liked Batman v. Superman.
- That has nothing to do with this.
- I still have faith on Suicide Squad, but there are rumors. Rumors don’t come from nowhere.
- People are fleeing from projects.
- They’re being REALLY reactionary.
- I haven’t used the word “Marvel” at all in the article until now, but Marvel consistently shows confidence in their properties. They’ve lost directors before, but they consistently show that they believe in what they’re doing.
- DC seems like they’re going a bit off the tracks, and I think we’re gonna keep hearing some murmurings for a few more months.
- Just trust me though, IF Suicide Squad isn’t good, you’re gonna hear more announcements like.
- Movies are gonna start getting delayed, rescheduled, and canceled.
- We know we’re getting Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, and Justice League.
- But things like this make people see weakness in DC.
- DC, even if their movies aren’t great, needs to pretend they are.
- Cuz I want all of these DC movies to be great.
- I just think that there may be a bit of trouble behind the scenes for now……
But guys, those are just my thoughts on If The DC Universe is in Trouble! Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments down below. You guys can also find me on Twitter @JohnMHayeck and be sure to Subscribe to me on Youtube for new video reviews every week (http://www.youtube.com/MyMovieThoughts)! And as always, thanks for reading guys.